The MFG Fundraising Programme is a four-week, hybrid initiative that empowers growth-stage founders to secure media capital lead investors and co-investors in the UK and Europe. It offers targeted guidance, networking opportunities, and strategic insights to accelerate the completion of media capital rounds.
The 2023 Programme was specifically designed for UK and European startups looking to expand to the UK and complete a fundraising round in the following 6-9 months.
Why We Created The MFG Fundraising Programme
The programme was uniquely designed to educate founders on WHY and HOW they should use above-the-line (ABL) media alongside activation channels, and the mechanics behind raising media capital
Recognising media capital's vital role in startup growth, especially considering the current investment climate, we sought to provide a solution bridging the gap between founders and investors, facilitating successful fundraising while enhancing their understanding of the UK media landscape.
- Raising media capital effectively through
- Specialised knowledge & resources about the media landscape, particularly TV
- Access to experienced mentors, industry experts, and investors including alternative forms of finance for consumer businesses
- Having confidence when speaking to a media capital investor
- Conserving cash reserves, extending operating runway, and enhancing brand growth
For Media Partners
- Give access to a new set of advertisers who may not have previously considered mass-market channels
- Provide qualified deal-flow opportunities that are ready and serious about raising media capital
- Being part of a larger, diverse investment group under MFG also ensures more stable, risk-mitigated cash flow streams
The MFG Fundraising Programme comprised of three key elements:
- A blend of 8 action-driven online sessions from seasoned media investors and executives
- 1-2-1 investor and expert meetings (on average every founder connected with 5 media capital investors during the 4-week programme)
- A final Investors and startups networking drinks event in London where we invited 90+ media capital investors, VCs, business executives, and programme founders to connect and exchange feedback
What We Look For in Founders?
In around 6 weeks, mediaforgrowth sourced 50 companies from 14 countries (predominantly the UK, European markets, and the U.S.), and received 31 fully submitted applications.
- UK and Europe-based startups with operations in top major European hubs planning to scale in the UK
- Revenue-generating that have a proven business model
- Growing marketing spending (>30% of revenue is spent on marketing)
- Seeking investment in the next 6-9 months
- Relevancy for the end consumer in the mass market or strong niche markets, that we can reach and address via both traditional and digital channels
- Sector and geography agnostic, emphasising diversity and inclusivity in the programme
- A uniquely designed programme educating founders on WHY and HOW they should use ABL media alongside activation channels; and the mechanics behind raising media capital
- Opportunity to present live at the MFG Event in front of 90+ investors and founders
- Access to lead media capital investors in the UK and Europe
- Long-term collaboration and new market opportunities
- Free admission
To ensure that we had a strong, diverse pipeline of founder candidates, we worked closely with a number of network partners:
- Media Companies including media capital investors, JCDecaux, and RTL, among others
- Startup Operators and event organisers including TechBBQ and Pitchflix
- Venture Capital funds and angel investors
- Diversifying Group - a collection of 3 x Job Boards designed to support candidates to find jobs with inclusive organisations and for clients and recruitment agencies to connect and engage with broader talent pools.
- Tryp.com - a platform that enables multi-destination travelling, combining the best flights, trains, buses, and hotels into travel packages with AI technology.
- Road.Travel - the first in-car app, pioneering adaptive travel guides: curated routes for road trips, weekend getaways, and scenic driving, seamlessly available from mobile to car navigation.
- When in Rome - a startup that helps people discover the joy of drinking Italian wine in the most environmentally sustainable way possible.
- Xin and Voltaire - an avant-garde alcohol brand producing category-defining high-proof sorbet cocktails.
- ArcX - wearable technology that helps people control the numerous other devices we use daily.
- DNA Nutrition - DNA's pioneering range of clinically proven natural supplements enable the 8M men and 7.5M in the UK with testosterone deficiency, to hack their hormones naturally.
- PKW.de - PKW.de&CARS.one digitalize local car dealers and workshops via Software as a Service, as they enable digital transactions on online marketplaces via their B2B ecosystem.
MFG Media Investors, VC & Startups Networking Drinks
The MFG Fundraising Programme culminated in a networking event held at Level39, Canary Wharf in London. It was a great opportunity for founders to present live in front of 80+ guests and on the Pitchflix channel, as well as to find prominent business partners and investors. The event was sponsored by RTL, ITV AdVentures and SellersFi.
- Registered guests 109
- Actual guests - 80+
- Founders - 41,25%
- Investors - 21,25%
- Business Executives - 32,5%
We welcomed a diverse group of 8 founders to the MFG Fundraising Programme in September 2023, building businesses across a range of B2C and DTC industries including Travel, Food and Beverage, HRtech, Wearables, Health and Wellness, and Mobility.
Of the 8 participants, within a few weeks since the start of the programme, our investors progressed two founders to the IC stage, and three other founders to a second investment meeting. 75% of the founders connected with more than five media capital investors, and the MFG Team will continue to actively work with them to secure media capital investment.
The feedback from our cohort was overwhelmingly positive with an overall attendee satisfaction score of 10 out of 10.
“The programme was outstanding. Packed with expert speakers and pitched at just the right level.”
Be part of our next 2024 cohort
In 2024, we aim to build on the initial success of this programme by running another cohort. Information about the next edition of the MFG Fundraising programme will be announced soon.